Further comments by BOJ governor Kuroda
- That is if momentum towards 2% inflation target weakens
- Will continue with powerful monetary easing persistently
- Mentioning timeframe could lead to misunderstanding related to policy
- Inflation likely to hit 2% around fiscal year 2019
- Outlook entails some certain uncertainties in general
- Didn’t erase timeframe due to worries about having to delay it again
- Mid to long-term inflation expectations not changing
- Close attention must be paid to those expectations
Ah, there we go. The same old rhetoric.
He’s continuing to argue about why they removed the reference on the 2% inflation target for around fiscal year 2019 in the statement. I think that should be enough to do it, the market gets the message. He should really refrain from over-commenting in my view – otherwise he risks the occasional slip of tongue that we have seen in the past.