CFTC Commitments of Traders highlights for the week ending May 1, 2018:
- EUR long 121K vs 131K long last week.
- GBP long 26K vs 37K long last week.
- JPY short 1K vs 1K long last week.
- CHF short 19K vs 10K short last week.
- CAD short 28K vs 25K long last week.
- AUD short 7k vs 3K short last week.
- NZD long 17K vs 24K long last week.
- Last week’s data
The story across the board was a race out of bets against the US dollar. That’s not a surprise given three strong weeks for USD. The pound and kiwi have been particularly hard hit in that timeline and are now closer (but still some way away) from square.
Euro longs have been covering now for two weeks but that’s still a massive net long position with plenty to squeeze if the data in Europe doesn’t begin to improve.