Speaking on Austrian TV
ECBs Eeald Nowotny (Governor of the Bank of Austria) was on Austrian TV on Sunday and said:
- We are in a really very good economic situation, but monetary policy is actually still in crisis mode.
- Price stability achieved in Euro Zone as a whole
- Makes sense to normalize monetary policy quicker
- We have fixed interest rates for another entire year (fall/end of summer 2019), and I think that’s something we should have a look at and ask if it is really sensible given economic circumstances
- I am more optimistic on inflation than ECB majority
- Markets/ECB are monitoring Italy
- Italian government is sending contradicting messages
More hawkish comments from the Austrian central banker and ECB member.