Comments by Ireland’s foreign minister Simon Coveney
- But reiterates that there is no promise and no firm commitment on said dates
- Barnier has indicated that EU is willing to allow more time to find solution to backstop
- Barnier has offered extension to transition period (FT report earlier here)
- Transition extension has been discussed by both parties
- Backstop cannot be time limited
- There will be real time pressure to get any final deal ratified
As mentioned earlier here, today’s summit isn’t about finding a breakthrough in Brexit negotiations but it’s all about setting the tone for future talks/discussions. Currently, it’s now a question of whether or not European leaders feel there is a need to meet up in November.
Judging by Coveney’s comments, they may propose a date to do so but without a firm commitment/timeline to work towards, it’s likely going to pass by just like that unless the UK brings something new to the negotiating table.